Kenzie Terrace & Stinson Parkway Development (Formerly Redevelopment of Lowry Grove)
Community Meeting Hosted by The Village, LLC
Monday January 24, 2018 6:00 PM
The Village, LLC is hosting a public meeting on Wednesday, January 24th, doors opening at 6 p.m. with a presentation beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the New Brighton Community Center-Room A .
The purpose of this meeting is for the Developer to present a revised concept for the development of the property 2501 Lowry Avenue (former Lowry Grove Manufactured Home Park) for community input.
The city offices have NOT received a revised submittal from the developer at this time. Upon receipt of the submittal, the city will send out notification through this email listserve and send out notices to nearby properties, as required by statute and city code for a public hearing.
City Council Meeting October 10, 2017
At the City Council meeting on October 10, 2017 The City Council voted unanimously on Resolution 17-070 a resolution to Deny the Comprehensive Plan Amendments, PUD Preliminary Development Plan/PUD Rezoning, and Preliminary Plat related to The Village, LLC project located at 2401 and 2501 Lowry Avenue.
Request for Continuance
September 19, 2017
The Village LLC (the developer) of the Southern Gateway Development Project has requested a two week continuance of the City Council meeting. This matter will now be on the October 10, 2017 City Council meeting agenda.
Planning Commission Public Hearing August 28, 2017View video of August 28, 2017 Planning Commission meeting
At the Planning Commission public hearing on August 28th, the Planning Commission recommended the following motions regarding the Southern Gateway Development Project:
- Denial of a Comprehensive Plan Amendment to increase the density from 40 units/acre to 48 units/acre on the overall development site at 2401 and 2501 Lowry Avenue;
- Denial of a Preliminary Planned Unit Development (PUD) Development Plan for the redevelopment plan;
- Denial of a Preliminary Plat for the subdivision of the development site;
- The Comprehensive Plan Amendment to re-guide the 2401 Lowry Avenue property from Commercial to High Density Residential received 4 votes in support and 2 votes against, but failed to receive a recommendation for approval, due to the necessity for a super majority (minimum of 5 affirmative votes).
All four requests will be forwarded to the City Council meeting on September 26, 2017, starting at 7:00 p.m. at City Hall. The City Council packet inlcuding the staff report, will be available online September 22, 2017.Please contact Breanne Rothstein, city planner, with any questions or concerns at email@example.com
Prior Project Updates
Please check back often for updates.As the process for reviewing the redevelopment of Lowry Grove nears, the city looks to its most important planning documents for guidance, including the Strategic Plan and the Comprehensive Plan. The principles and shared values to be used when reviewing development projects are below. These planning principles will be the focus of review and consideration of the Lowry Grove redevelopment.
1) The provision of affordable housing. The city has a history of including, requiring, and financially supporting the development of affordable housing in the community, and this commitment will continue;
2) Compatibility with surrounding land uses. It is important that new development match existing surrounding land uses in scale, height, and use;
3) Provision of adequate public infrastructure. All new development must provide appropriate infrastructure to manage water, sewer, runoff, streets, and access, and all other infrastructure needed to adequately serve itself and protect the surrounding community;
4) Protection of the environment. All development must meet all Federal, State, watershed district, and local requirements for environmental protection. The city will ensure all pollution and contamination is properly remediated;
5) A fair and open public process. When a formal application is received for development, the city will provide outlets for community discourse and discussion on the proposal.