In the Home
Sustainability Starts at Home
Being sustainable at home means saving money, increasing the longevity of your home, and setting a good example for children. The best results come from planning and trying things out: find your balance and share your strategies and results with friends and neighbors for everyone's success.
Local Living Green Resources
- Hosting an event? Ramsey County has an event recycling program for residents to use their composting and recycling bins at no cost. Learn more and reserve your bins by completing an online form.
- Need some tips and resources for being green? The MPCA has everything you need pertaining to Home Sustainability.
- Check out the Do It Green Website for more green tips, local green businesses, or to get the Do It Green Seal put onto your business.
- Visit the Living Green Expo in the Spring to learn more about what you can do!
Radon is a naturally occurring gas derived from uranium and radium in the soil all around the world. Radon can be drawn into buildings or homes and accumulate to high levels. See these resources on radon descriptions, test kits, and how to promote radon safety:
- Ramsey County offers easy, low-cost radon testing for your home.
- EPA Radon Homepage
- Building Radon Out (PDF)
- Map by Counties
Green Cleaning Agents
Home-made cleaning agents are healthy, safe and even fun. According to the EPA, indoor pollutants may be 2 to 5 times higher than outdoor pollutants. Keeping supplies for your own cleaning solutions can also save money in the long run. Try these resources to learn more about their benefits:
- Borax: 1 Teaspoon
- White Vinegar: 2 Tablespoons
- Liquid Dish Soap: 1 Tablespoon
- Warm Water: Fill bottle nearly full
- Essential oil: 2 drops (Optional: choose your scent)