Zoning / Fence & Retaining Wall

Zoning Permits

Please complete the Zoning Permit Application (PDF) for fences, retaining walls, accessory buildings under 200 square feet, driveways, sidewalks, and any other project that is subject to setbacks.


All fences must follow City Ordinance Section 150.070. The fence must be located entirely on the home owner's property.

Keep in mind:
  • A permit is required to put up a fence.
  • Property stakes must be located and exposed.
  • Inspection is made to verify the property line.

Retaining Walls

A permit is required to verify the property line and inspect footings.

Tips for Locating Corner Irons

  • Renting a metal detector can give you an indication of an iron location before you start digging
  • You may not be able to find one or more of your property irons. Sometimes irons are dug up when utility work, street construction or similar activity has taken place near your property corners.
  • If an adjacent neighbor has recently done construction, they likely had to locate their irons and may be able to show you where they found a shared iron(s).
  • Utility poles, hedges, a sidewalk edge, or a neighbor's fence are not definite indicators of a property line location.
  • Before doing any digging, you should call Gopher State at 651-454-0002 to locate any utilities.
  • Be careful not to disturb the iron monument when digging.

Accessory Buildings (Less Than 200 Square Feet)

A Site Plan Review by the City Planner is required for accessory buildings under 200 square feet.